The Future of Genetics
New discoveries in genetics and genomics are happening even as you read this. The applications of this cutting-edge science are numerous, varied, and have significant implications for disease prevention and treatment, as well as the search for solutions to food scarcity. As this field evolves and grows, so too grows the need for skilled and innovative young professionals to join the workforce.
Career Spotlight – Population Geneticist (2:49) Ryan Hernandez, Assistant Professor at UC San Francisco in the department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences, discusses how he was led to study population genetics. What is Genetic Counseling? (1:05) This video, created by the Canadian Association of Genetic Counselors, explains the basic functions of a genetic counselor's job.
What is Genetic Counseling? (1:05) This video, created by the Canadian Association of Genetic Counselors, explains the basic functions of a genetic counselor's job.
- What is Genetic Counseling? - Take a look at the roles, education requirements, pros/cons, and other career information about Genetic Counselors in this infographic created by Sarah Elaine King.
- A career in Genetics & Genomics - This article by Judith Portman discusses the necessary qualifications required of an individual working in genetics as well as what a typical day would look like and general career information.
- Genetic counseling: A growing area of opportunity - Elisabeth Pain's article, published by Science, explores the potential for high employment growth in the genetic counseling profession.
Ted Talks – Ted.com
- Pardis Sabeti: How we'll fight the next deadly virus
- Jill Farrant: How we can make crops survive without water
- Ellen Jorgensen: What you need to know about CRISPR
Cal Poly Courses
- BIO 302 Human Genetics
- BIO 303 Survey of Genetics
- BIO 305 Biology of Cancer
- BIO 308 Genetic Engineering Technology
- BIO 351 Principles of Genetics
- BIO 441 Bioinformatics Applications
- BIO 476 Gene Expression Laboratory
- BIO 501 Molecular and Cellular Biology
Cal Poly Student Clubs
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- Biotech Club
- Psychology Club
- Tri-Beta (Biological Sciences students' honorary/professional society)
- The American Institute of Biological Sciences
- The American Society of Human Genetics
- The Association of Genetic Technologists
Example LinkedIn Groups
- American Society of Human Genetics - ASHG
- Genetics Jobs
- Genomics: Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS) and Microarray
Professional Networking Resources
Job Titles and Salaries
- Clinical Research Associate - $77,778 (GlassDoor)
- Genetic Counselor - $72,000 (GlassDoor)
- Genetic Engineer - $82,000 (Genome)
- Geneticist - $71,000 (SimplyHired)
- Immunologist - $70,000 (SimplyHired)
- Molecular Scientist - $83,000 (SimplyHired)
- Research Technician - $44,375 (GlassDoor)
- Many more career profiles are available through the Genomic Careers website provided by the National Human Genome Research Institute