Food Business: “A business, enterprise or activity that involves the handling of food intended for sale, or the sale of food, regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity (other than a business, enterprise or activity that is primary food production) is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.” - Department of Health, Washington State
- What the truck? Space Chimp Media offers a glimpse into the food truck industry through this guide to the mobile cuisine of Austin, Texas.
- 7 Women Who Turned Their Passion For Food Into Careers: This article examines how 7 successful food entrepreneurs got their start.
- How to Start A Food Truck in California: Published by UpCounsel, this article lays out the process of starting a food truck business step by step.
- Starting a Food Business: Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences has created Food For Profit fact sheets available to entrepreneurs interested in creating a business in food.
- Cal Poly Entrepreneurs - An entrepreneurial community coming together to build skills, network, and obliterate the concept of limits.
- Food Science Club
Programs, Courses, and Student Employment
- Food Science BS, Culinary Concentration
- BUS 310: Introduction to Entrepreneurship - Prerequisite: GE Area A
- Cal Poly Campus Dining - Enhance your resume with real work experience in the Food Industry! Apply online or contact unit supervisors listed on this employment page.
- Food Entrepreneurs Meetup Groups
- National Restaurant Association: Through a partnership with CareerBuilder, the National Restaurant Association pairs the finest talent in the restaurant and foodservice industry with outstanding opportunities at member restaurants and institutions.
- Specialty Food Association: A thriving community of food artisans, importers, and entrepreneurs who bring craft, care, and joy to the distinctive foods they produce. Established in 1952, this not-for-profit trade association provides its 3,000 members the tools, knowledge, and connections to nurture their companies in an always-evolving marketplace.
- Small Food Business: Seeks to empower and inspire food entrepreneurs by providing up-to-date industry news as well as the regulatory, business, and strategic information they need to successfully compete in today’s marketplace.
- La Cocina: La Cocina was born out of a belief that a community of natural entrepreneurs, given the right resources, can create self-sufficient businesses that benefit themselves, their families, their community, and the whole city.
Example LinkedIn Groups
- Artisan Food Business
- Food Biz Startup
- Food Business Startup
- Food Industry Marketing & Communications Professionals
- Food Marketing Network
- Food Truck Forum
- The Food Business Group
Example Job Titles
- Banquet Manager
- Catering Manager
- Food and Beverage Director
- Executive Chef