Real Estate and Property Development
Have you ever been curious about a future in real estate and property development? As real estate development becomes increasingly more complex with environmental, legal, and financial challenges, young professionals in this field are focused on resolving property issues and enhancing communities.
Property Development Process Video (8:26) - This video walks you through the property development process map of land development steps.
The real estate deal that could change the future of everything: Ben Miller at TEDxMidAtlantic (11:31) - Ben Miller, co-founder of Fundrise, discusses how his company uses crowd-funding to finance property development by having locals invest in their own neighborhoods.
- How to Become a Real Estate Developer - This short article walks you through various career paths you can take in the world of real estate development and how to get there.
- 6 Ways to Build a Career in the Real Estate Development Business - Scott Choppin provides some advice on how to enter the real estate development profession and be successful.
Cal Poly Programs and Courses
- Real Property Development Minor
- BUS 409 Law of Real Property
- BUS 434 Real Estate Finance
- BUS 435 Real Estate Investment
- BUS 443 Case Studies in Real Estate Finance
- CRP 212 Introduction to Urban Planning
- CRP 442 Housing and Planning
- CRP 535 Land Use and Planning Law
- CE 371 Construction Management and Project Planning
Cal Poly Student Clubs
- Alpha Rho Chi
- American Institute of Architecture Students
- Architecture and Environmental Design Student Council
- Associated Students of Construction Management
- BIM Club, Cal Poly
- Cal Poly Real Estate Club
- Construction Management Association of America
- National Association of Home Builders, Student Chapter
- California Association of Realtors
- Institute of Real Estate Management
- NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- Urban Land Institute
Example LinkedIn Groups
- Property Development Professionals
- Real Estate Development eAssociation
- Real Estate Network of Professionals
Job Shadowing and Informational Interviews
Explore potential careers and increase your professional network through an informational interview or job shadowing experience.
- Institute of Real Estate Management Career Development Programs
- Career Services' Informational Interviewing Handout
Sample Job Titles
- Construction Project Manager
- Development Analyst
- Development Associate
- Director of Housing Development
- Land Development Manager
- Real Estate Development Assistant
- Real Estate Development Manager
- Real Estate Planning Specialist
- Indeed: Real Estate Development Jobs
- LinkedIn: Real Estate Development Jobs
- GlassDoor: Real Estate Development Jobs
- American Campus Communities
- Balfour Beatty Communities
- Brookfield Property Partners
- Duke Realty
- Liberty Property Trust
- MetLife Real Estate Investors
- Related Cos.
- Trammell Crow Co.