At Cal Poly Career Services, we understand that navigating career options during these uncertain times poses unique challenges. Rest assured that whether you are graduating in June, or contemplating your summer internship plans, the Learn by Doing mindset you have developed at Cal Poly, and the in-demand skills built through your academic program will continue to provide a strong foundation as you launch your career. As a Mustang, our strong network of alumni and the entire Cal Poly community will also be here to support you. Read on for a wealth of resources that can help you take the actions you need, right now, and in the months to come.
Perspective on Job Search and Who’s Hiring
These articles may provide insight on areas of opportunity, now and in the future. We will continue to update this page with articles of interest so please continue to check back for additional resources.
- Companies Are Still Hiring During COVID-19—Here Are 28 That Want Your Applications Now from The Muse
- COVID-19: Job Market Insights and Strategies from Experts from Cultivated Culture
- Work and COVID-19: Job search and work advice from The Muse
- Graduating in the Age of COVID-19 from the Washington Center
- 3 Ways Coronavirus Will Change Job Searching… And What You Can Do About It Now from Jeremy Schifeling of Khan Academy
- The Coronavirus Effect: Here Are The Jobs That Will Be Added And Lost from Forbes
- Here's Who's Hiring Right Now from Andrew Seaman of LinkedIn
- See who’s hiring on these crowdsourced job and internship status trackers with updates from across the country:
Remote Jobs and Virtual Internship Opportunities
With many jobs and internships moving temporarily to fully remote opportunities, we've compiled some resources to help you explore these options.
A virtual internship is similar to an in-person internship, except that it’s designed to be offered entirely online or remotely. The intern gains valuable experience while working from a remote location, and work hours are often more flexible. Students are in regular contact with the supervisor/team via virtual methods such as video call, phone call, email and messaging platforms.
Visit MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake for hundreds of remote and virtual opportunities currently posted in our job database, by companies who are specifically seeking Cal Poly students. Try using the word “remote” as a keyword when searching and use the additional filters to tailor the options according to your major and desired role.
Here are some additional job boards and lists of companies hiring for remote work:
- Top 100 Companies with Remote Jobs in 2020 from Flexjobs
- Companies offering remote work and
- List of remote job search sites from the 2020 Remote Work Summit
Micro-internships and "Gigs"
In addition to traditional internships, many students are exploring these short-term options to gain experience and generate income.
Micro-internships are short-term, professional assignments that enable students to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks. Unlike traditional internships, micro-internships can take place year-round, typically ranging from 5 to 40 hours of work, and projects are due between one week and one month after they are initiated.
“Gigs” are typically short-term, freelance professional assignments, which vary in duration, according to the project requirements.
- Explore micro-internships on the Parker Dewey site
- Or check out the list of twenty platforms for finding "gig" assignments from the 2020 Remote Work Summit
Virtual International Internships in Partnership with the Cal Poly International Center for Summer 2020
The Cal Poly International Center is excited to announce an opportunity for Cal Poly students to participate in virtual international internships for Summer 2020! Gain valuable work experience in an international setting from the comfort of your own home. Our study abroad partners are offering over 15 virtual internship programs in various disciplines, such as public health in Kenya, engineering in Germany, and event planning in China and Italy! If you are still making your summer plans and want to learn more about what type of virtual internships are available, just complete a quick online Internship Interest Form, and a Study Abroad Advisor will be in touch shortly with more information! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still have questions? Meet with a Career Counselor!
MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake, is Cal Poly's online job listing service. Over 25,000 on-campus, local part-time jobs, internships, and career positions are made available annually!
MustangJOBS offers features, including:
- An intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Personalized job and internship recommendations
- Access to opportunities including on-campus interviews, career fairs, university information tables, and information sessions
- The ability to schedule appointments with your career counselor
- A Resource Library that includes How To Quick Tips and exclusive Online Resources
Find information about canceling an interview, no-show policies, rescinding job offers and pressure from employers.
- Your MustangJOBS/Handshake profile privacy can be changed at any time by clicking on your name in the upper right-hand corner, and then choosing Settings & Privacy
- Visibility to Employers: Most employers are not currently able to view Cal Poly student profiles in MustangJOBS/Handshake (only Career Partners have access)
- Visibility to Other Students: If you wish to view other students’ profiles to learn how they frame their skills and experience, you must first set your profile to be visible to other students
- Please note that some profile components have their own privacy settings, such as GPA; This allows you to make your profile public while still keeping specific information private
- Each time you upload a resume or other document, you will have the option of whether to make it publicly visible or private
- Consider whether you wish to include personal information such as address and phone number when making documents public
- To brush up on privacy and security best practices, please visit Cal Poly’s Office of Information Security
MustangJOBS/Handshake for Cal Poly Alumni
- Cal Poly students can retain their MustangJOBS/Handshake accounts after graduation! Simply complete an Alumni Account Request. The process is free, and provides you with lifelong access.
- Cal Poly Alumni who have completed the alumni account request process can log in directly to MustangJOBS/Handshake here.
- We have many more services available to Cal Poly Alumni. Find out more here.