At Cal Poly Career Services, we are here to support you whether you are graduating in June, or contemplating your summer internship plans. The Learn by Doing mindset you have developed at Cal Poly, and the in-demand skills built through your academic program will continue to provide a strong foundation as you launch your career. As a Mustang, our strong network of alumni and the entire Cal Poly community will also be here to support you. Read on for a wealth of resources that can help you take the actions you need, right now, and in the months to come.
MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake, is Cal Poly's online job listing service. Over 35,000 on-campus, local part-time jobs, internships, and career positions are made available annually! Current students can login to MustangJOBS directly through their my.calpoly.edu portal.
MustangJOBS offers features, including:
- An intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Personalized job and internship recommendations
- Access to opportunities including on-campus interviews, career fairs, university information tables, and information sessions
- The ability to schedule appointments with your career counselor
- A Resource Library that includes How To Quick Tips and exclusive Online Resources
Student Guides for MustangJOBS
To find out how to create saved searches and apply for on-campus interviews, check out our MustangJobs/Handshake Cheat Sheet.
- Student User Guide - First-Years/Freshman
- Student User Guide - OCOB
- Student User Guide - CENG
- Student User Guide - CLA
- Student User Guide - CAFES
- Student User Guide - CAED
- Student User Guide - CSM
Remote Jobs and Virtual Internship Opportunities
With a portion of jobs and internships moving to fully remote opportunities, we've compiled some resources to help you explore these options.
- A virtual internship is similar to an in-person internship, except that it’s designed to be offered entirely online or remotely. The intern gains valuable experience while working from a remote location, and work hours are often more flexible. Students are in regular contact with the supervisor/team via virtual methods such as video call, phone call, email and messaging platforms.
- Work and COVID-19: Job search and work advice from The Muse
- Visit MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake for remote and virtual opportunities currently posted in our job database. Try using the word “remote” as a keyword when searching and use the additional filters to tailor the options according to your major and desired role.
In addition to traditional internships, many students are exploring these short-term options to gain experience and generate income.
- Micro-internships are short-term, professional assignments that enable students to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks. Unlike traditional internships, micro-internships can take place year-round, typically ranging from 5 to 40 hours of work, and projects are due between one week and one month after they are initiated.
- Apply for a Micro-Internship here!
- Your MustangJOBS/Handshake profile privacy can be changed at any time by clicking on your name in the upper right-hand corner, and then choosing Settings & Privacy
- Visibility to Employers: Most employers are not currently able to view Cal Poly student profiles in MustangJOBS/Handshake (only Career Partners have access)
- Visibility to Other Students: If you wish to view other students’ profiles to learn how they frame their skills and experience, you must first set your profile to be visible to other students
- Please note that some profile components have their own privacy settings, such as GPA; This allows you to make your profile public while still keeping specific information private
- Each time you upload a resume or other document, you will have the option of whether to make it publicly visible or private
- Consider whether you wish to include personal information such as address and phone number when making documents public
- To brush up on privacy and security best practices, please visit Cal Poly’s Office of Information Security
- Cal Poly students can retain their MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake accounts after graduation! Simply complete an Alumni Account Request. The process is free, and provides you with lifelong access.
- Alumni can access MustangJOBS by completing the Alumni Account Request form above.
- Once an alumni account is created, login to MustangJOBS directly here.
- We have many more services available to Cal Poly Alumni. Find out more here.
- If you have additional questions on how to use MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake, please feel free to give us a call at 805-756-5976 or access the Help Center by clicking here.
Find information about canceling an interview, no-show policies, rescinding job offers and pressure from employers.