Water: Purification Systems
Water Purification is the process by which contaminants are removed from the water to produce drinking water that is pure enough for human consumption. Many contaminants, such as chemicals pollutants, parasites, and bacteria can be dangerous. Others are removed to improve the smell, taste, and appearance of the water. Even sea water can be purified through the desalination process, by which salt is removed. As the availability of clean water diminishes globally, and the demand for human consumption increases, more work is taking place in reclaiming water through purification systems.
- Wastewater Treatment Process - This infographic shows the basic process of wastewater treatment. Wastewater treatment is the process of converting the wastewater collected from drains and sewers into a form that is safe to reuse and/or using the wastewater to produce biofuel.
- Read more about a long-term Water Purification Demonstration Project conducted in San Diego.
- See this recent article for a discussion of some current projects and considerations in California.
- Chi Epsilon - Civil and Environmental Engineering Honors Society
- Engineers Without Borders - USA Cal Poly - The student chapter of Engineers Without Borders-USA at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo was founded in 2005 by a core group of students dedicated to making a global impact. Cal Poly’s EWB chapter has successfully implemented projects across the globe, impacting the lives of thousands.
- Society of Environmental Engineers - SENVE is a student chapter of the national, non-profit environmental organization Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA), which gives students studying environmental science the opportunity to interact with members at all levels, as well as raise their professional awareness.
- Society of Civil Engineers - SCE provides members with opportunities to attend project tours, participate in competitions, and forge connections with industry.
- Society of Women Engineers - SWE strives to provide a voice for women that will encourage them to achieve their full potential as engineers and as leaders. SWE's mission is to create engineering opportunities, provide career and scholastic resources, and demonstrate the value of teamwork.
Cal Poly Programs and Courses
- MS Engineering, Specialization in Water Engineering
- MS Civil and Environmental Engineering program
- BS Environmental Management and Protection
- ENVE 438 – Water and Wastewater Treatment Design
- ENVE 535- Physico-Chemical Water and Wastewater Treatment
- CE 537 - Groundwater Contamination
- CHEM 341 - Environmental Chemistry: Water Pollution
- The Water Network
- Water Purification Industry Professionals (LinkedIn Group)
- Water Quality Association
- Water Environment Federation
- DC Water Internship Program - The summer program includes paid work at DC Water and the opportunity to explore jobs that are in keeping with the participant's area of study.
- Santa Clara Water Utility Summer Internship Program
- San Diego County Water Authority Internships
Example Job Titles
- Water Quality Specialist
- Water Reclamation Specialist
- Chemical Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Laboratory Technician
- Work for Water: Learn about a wide range of rewarding water jobs and related salaries.
Job Listing Links
- WEF Job Bank: Water Environment Federation's job listing website, advertising job opportunities in water, including wastewater treatment jobs
- Water Treatment Jobs on Governmentjobs.com
- California Water Environment Association Job Board