Healthy Design includes the organization, planning, and design of a community or a building to influence healthier living habits. Healthy Design can be accomplished through thoughtful interior design, architectural design, landscape architecture, city planning, and transportation planning.
Designing a Healthy Work Environment with Jennifer Walton (5:16) - Jennifer Walton, an interior architect at H. Hendy Associates, discusses the importance of designing a workplace to promote health and happiness in the office.
- Office Ecosystem - This infographic by Turnstone describes how the design of a work environment impacts the stress levels and performance of employees.
- Creating Community - This infographic by Crescent Communities details how the organization of public spaces influences the creation of community.
- Taking 'healthy design' from movement to reality - John Schneidawind shares the story of how an architectural firm and design company joined forces to pursue WELL Certification on their projects.
- Architecture for Well-Being and Health – This article by Koen Steemers outlines some rules that designers can follow to create a healthier way of life for building users.
Cal Poly Centers
Cal Poly Academic Programs or Courses
- ARCH 101 Survey of Architectural Education and Practice
- ARCH 207 Architectural Technology Fundamentals 2.3
- ARCH 307 Architectural Systems Integration 3.2
- ARCH 445 Urban Design in Architecture
- ARCH 453 Architectural Design 4.3
- ARCH 468 Advanced Environmental Building Systems
- ARCH 472 Housing Design Concepts
- ARCH 551 Architectural Design
- ARCH 561 Advanced Design
- CRP 101 Introduction to the Profession of City and Regional Planning
- CRP 202 Urban Design Studio I
- CRP 203 Urban Design Studio II
- CRP 204 Theories and Methods of Urban Design
- CRP 212 Introduction to Urban Planning
- CRP 214 Land Use and Transportation Studies
- CRP 325 Reflections on Biking, Walking and the City
- CRP 426 Planning Healthy Communities
- CRP 452 Community Design Methods
- RPTA 112 Introduction to Parks and Outdoor Recreation
Cal Poly Student Groups
- American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
- Architecture and Environmental Design Student Council
- Associated Students in Planning
- Design Village Conference
- Empower Poly Coalition
- Graduate Planning Student Association (GPSA)
- National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Student Chapter
- Public Health Club
- American Planning Association
- Center for Active Design
- Centre for Urban Design and Mental Health
- International Academy for Design & Health
- International WELL Building Institute
- WELL Community
Sample Job Titles and Salaries
- Architect - $74,864
- Architectural Designer - $58,213
- Community Planner - $49,480
- Interior Designer - $52,533
- Transportation Planner - $61,426
- Urban Planner - $56,879