How to Post a Job
Reach over 22,000 Cal Poly students and alumni by posting your positions on our free online job listing service, MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake
For questions, please give us a call at 805-756-5976.
Personal Household Jobs
To help you with the process of posting
Household Jobs (child care, yard work, tutoring, etc.),
For tips and best practices to help you navigate
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I post a job in MustangJOBS?
- Visit calpoly.joinhandshake.com/login
- Sign in to Handshake, or choose the “Sign up for an Account” option
- Select the blue “+Post a Job” button
What if I forgot my MustangJOBS/Handshake password?
- Please click the following link to reset your password: https://calpoly.joinhandshake.com/password_resets/new
How do I re-list my job?
- Click on “Jobs” beneath the blue “+Post a Job” button, or in the left-hand navigation menu
- Select the job you would like to re-list, or choose “Expired” if you do not see the correct posting
- Click on the blue “Edit Job” button, or the “Edit” tab in the upper right-hand corner
- Select the “Schools” tab at the bottom of the screen
- Change the “Apply Start Date” and “Expiration Date” to reflect the new posting dates
- Then click on the green “Save Changes” button on the bottom right
How do I retrieve resumes if I asked students to submit them when applying to my job posting?
- Click on the job title, then select the blue “Review Applicants” button
- Check the box to the left of the students’ names
- Click on “Download Applicant Packages” above the list of students’ names
- Choose which documents you would like to download (Resume, Cover Letter, etc.)
- Click on the blue “Next” button
- Then click on the green “Confirm” button
- Click on the link that says “Click here to retrieve the file” to open the .pdf file (you will also receive an email containing a link to the file)
- You may also choose how you would like to receive resumes by using a setting in the job posting itself. On the “Preferences” tab of the job posting form, the default setting is “Email a summary of all applicants once my job posting expires.” If you would like to receive resumes as students apply, please check the box next to “Email every time a new student applies.”
How do I close a job when I’ve filled the position?
- Click on the title of the posting you would like to close
- Click on the blue “Expire Job” button toward the top of the screen, in the “Edit/Renew Job Details” section
What is the difference between an internship and a co-op?
- Usually 10-12 weeks during Summer Quarter, but winter internships and year-round internships are also sought by students
- Students do not receive academic credit unless they request it from their academic department
- Positions are paid, though compensation may range between competitive wages (75-80% of entry level) to stipends or room and board
- Unpaid internships are only advertised for government or not-for-profit organizations
Cooperative Education (Co-op)
- Typically one to two quarters in duration
- Students register and pay tuition fees
- Students receive academic credit
- Positions are paid, typically 80-85% of entry level salary
- Please call Melinda McCann at 805-756-2107 for all questions regarding co-ops.
How do I get additional help in posting my position?
- Please call the MustangJOBs information line at 805-756-5976.
How can I get assistance with my Employer Account?
- Contact Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Virtual Internships
What are virtual internships?
A virtual internship is similar to an in-person internship, except that it’s designed to be offered entirely online or remotely. The intern gains valuable experience while working from a remote location, and work hours are often more flexible. Students are in regular contact with the supervisor/team via virtual methods such as video call, phone call, email and messaging platforms.
What are micro-internships?
Micro-Internships are short-term, professional assignments that enable students to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks. Unlike traditional internships, micro-internships can take place year-round, typically ranging from 5 to 40 hours of work, and projects are due between one week and one month after they are initiated.
What are some policies and procedures that should be part of an effective online internship?
- Complete Employer Profile: To host an online internship through Cal Poly, the host must have an established and verified business or organization. This involves documenting that the host has a physical location, a working website, a tax ID number, and contact information that is valid and up-to-date.
- Student Learning: The online internship experience must be beneficial for the student and their professional development. If an internship (or co-op) is to be completed for academic credit toward the student’s degree, the student and employer should work with the relevant academic department to ensure the learning experiences are the equivalent to being in a classroom or other formal academic learning situation and the proper documents are completed before starting the internship.
What are the recruiting guidelines?
Employers seeking to recruit Cal Poly students must adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity laws and the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Employment Professionals. Under FERPA, Cal Poly prohibits the disclosure of a student's protected information to third parties. Cal Poly Career Services makes its services available to employers who do not unlawfully discriminate in the selection of employees on the basis of national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
How do I post a job or internship that will offered remotely?
To post virtual internships on MustangJOBS powered by Handshake, the appropriate way to create your posting is:
On the ‘Details” page of the job posting
Select ‘Allow remote workers’
Once the job posting is completed and submitted, Cal Poly Career Services will review the position for accuracy and relevance before approving the position to be seen by students. Please allow two business days for positions to be reviewed.