Growing transportation needs and environmental concerns will increase job opportunities for professionals who plan, design, and build transportation systems and new energy-efficient cars, trucks, trains, buses, airplanes, and ships. There will also be job opportunities in converting vehicles for greater fuel efficiency and building and expanding public transportation systems. The greenest jobs in transportation will be those that help make it easier for more people to take mass transit or help find ways to dramatically reduce vehicle emissions.
- U.S. Department of Energy: Under “Advanced Vehicles and Fuels,” find out more about hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, fuel cell vehicles, plug-in hybrids, flex-fuel vehicles, alternative fuels, and more.
- American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy: Information on vehicle technology, transportation systems, and transportation policy.
- Cal Poly Electric Vehicle Engineering Club - EVEC was formed to learn about, promote, and work towards developing technologies that will sustain an alternative energy future. Programs & Courses
- Cal Poly Future Fuels Club - Cal Poly Future Fuels Club was started in December 2012 by a small, dedicated group of students in order to promote and further develop technologies that provide an alternative fuel source to Petroleum.
- Cal Poly Power and Energy Society - The IEEE Power & Energy Society is a worldwide, non-profit association of more than 26,000 individuals engaged in the electric power energy industry. Our mission is to be the leading provider of scientific information on electric power and energy for the betterment of society and the preferred professional development source for our members.
Programs and Courses
- BRAE 348: Energy For a Sustainable Society - Study of how the transition can be made from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources including hydro, biomass, solar, wind, and energy conservation. Environmental, economic, and political consequences of a renewable energy-based sustainable society. Prerequisite: Junior standing and completion of GE Area B. Prerequisite: Junior standing and completion of GE Area B.
- PSC 320: Energy, Society and the Environment - Science and technology of current and future energy sources along with associated environmental problems and societal response. Energy production, consumption, efficient usage, fossil fuels, nuclear, solar, other renewables.
- CE 321: Fundamentals of Transportation Engineering - The characteristics and functions of the highway, air, rail, transit and other modes of urban and intercity transportation. Fundamentals of transportation design, operations, and planning. Evaluation of costs, benefits, and environmental considerations. Prerequisite: PHYS 141; CE 259 or graduate standing.
- CE 527: Sustainable Mobility - Presentation and analysis of concepts and designs for sustainable mobility from a global-to-local, interdisciplinary perspective, including pedestrians, bicyclists, and public transportation. Addresses the economy, environment, and equity (social issues) through lectures, panels, excursions and a planning/design project in San Luis Obispo County. Prerequisite: CE 321 or CRP 435 or consent of instructor.
- Electric Power Institute - dedicated to the development of the best possible educational research and service in the area of power and energy systems, power quality, renewable and sustainable energy, and power electronics.
- Electric Vehicle Business and Career Network
- Engineering Electric Vehicles for America
- Hybrid Vehicle
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- Clean Cities Program - Clean Cities, in the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, offers opportunities to industry, organizations, government, businesses, and students. The program works with both large and small organizations through partnerships, projects, and internships, as well as through its Clean Cities coalitions.
- National Council for Science and the Environment - NCSE's Environmental Internship Clearinghouse enables university students to search for internships in the environmental field. Search by terms such as: clean transportation, green transportation, alternative fuel vehicles
Example Job Titles
- Battery Tester and Evaluator
- Electro-Mechanical Engineer
- Fuel Cell Engineer
- Parts Advisor
- Production Planner
- Public Policy Project Manager
- Transportation Planner