Transportation: Safety and Security
Transportation security and safety is critical to overall national security, and as an industry, has seen dramatic employment growth since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. This job market is projected to show further growth over the next 5-10 years, with future employment opportunities developing in the security administration of airports, train stations, shipping ports, and along the coastlines and national borders.
Major US Transportation Safety Organizations
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA): Created to strengthen the security of the nation’s transportation systems and ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce.
- Amtrack Security & Safety: Amtrak has a range of behind-the-scenes and front-line security measures in place to ensure passenger rail security.
- Customs and Border Patrol: CBP is one of the Department of Homeland Security’s largest and most complex components, with a priority mission of keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the U.S.
- National Strategy for Global Supply Chain Security: The Strategy includes two primary goals: to promote the efficient and secure movement of goods, and to foster a resilient supply chain.
- Occupational Health & Safety-Transportation
- Operation RAIL SAFE: Amtrak Police, TSA personnel and law enforcement officers from federal, state, local, rail and transit agencies deploy at passenger rail and transit stations, and along the right-of-way, to exercise counterterrorism and incident response.
- Ports, Waterways & Coastal Security: The mission of PWCS is the protection of the U.S. Maritime Domain and the U.S. Marine Transportation System (MTS) and those who live, work or recreate near them; the prevention and disruption of terrorist attacks, sabotage, espionage, or subversive acts; and response to and recovery from those that do occur.
- US Dept. of Transportation Maritime Administration National Port Readiness Network: Provides coordination and cooperation to ensure the readiness of commercial ports to support force deployment during contingencies and other defense emergencies.
- US Dept. of Transportation Maritime Administration Office of Port and Cargo Security: Addresses all issues relating to security policy, plans, operations, compliance, research, development, and exercises for the Marine Transportation System.
- US Dept. of Transportation Maritime Administration Office of Safety: It is the mission and responsibility of this Office to develop, coordinate and oversee Agency matters related to Safety, including issues relating to maritime safety, maritime safety compliance and maritime research and development.
- Cal Poly Institute of Transportation Engineers - Cal Poly's student chapter of the Institute of Transportation Engineers aims to educate and connect students to the transportation field. Student members explore opportunities within the field through industry presentations, social and community service events, and professional conferences.
Cal Poly Programs and Courses
- CE 423 - Intelligent Transportation Systems
- CE 488 - Engineering Risk Analysis
- CE 525 - Airport Planning and Design
- CE 526 - Transportation Safety
- CRP 339 - Disaster-Resistant Sustainable Communities
- Airline & Airport Professionals Worldwide: The group shares best practices, tips, techniques and strategies as well as helping each other with employment and career opportunities.
- American Association of Port Authorities Committees and Networking: AAPA is dedicated to serving deep draft public ports by enhancing port management professionalism, and advocating issues critical to public seaports.
- Amtrak Police: Former, current and prospective Officers of the Amtrak Police, as well as supporters and affiliates.
- Mass Transportation and Tourism Security Professionals: Security professionals, managers who oversee security, and persons working in mass transportation who have a need to understand the process involved with securing transportation and tourism as a whole.
- National Border Patrol Council: Professional labor union representing more than 17,000 Border Patrol Agents and support staff.
- Team Coast Guard: Members (former, present & supporters of) the US Coast Guard, Reserve, and Auxiliary and Civilian components.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, DHS: News, events, policy, and technologies related to the homeland security community.
- Department of Homeland Security: DHS offers a variety of prestigious scholarships, fellowships, internships and training opportunities to expose talented students to the broad national security mission.
Example Job Titles
- Air Safety Investigator
- Customs and Border Protection Officer
- Director of Safety
- Marine Inspector
- Mission Support Specialist
- Naval Architect
- Program Analyst
- Risk Project Director
- Security Specialist
- Transportation Security Officer
Job Listing Links
- Amtrak Job Listings
- Amtrak Police Careers: Information about minimum qualifications, selection process, and salary and benefits.
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Job Listings
- Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Careers - Links to information about how to choose a CBP career based on your major, CBP Internship and Recent Grad Program information, career descriptions, FAQs and hiring process information.
- Maritime Administration (MARAD) Job Listings
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Job Listings
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Careers
- US Coast Guard Job Listings
- US Coast Guard Civilian Careers