According to The World Health Organization, "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." Holistic wellness is achieving the integration and balance of the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well being of a person.
- Six Dimensions of Wellness - This infographic by BodyFACTS illustrates the National Wellness Institute's definition of wellness in pictorial form.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH): The NCCIH explains the difference between complementary and alternative medicine. Learn about the different forms of Mind-Body Practices, the role of integrative medicine and natural products.
- Holistic Health Outlook: Read about different careers related to Holistic Health
- Student Health Advisory Committee - The Student Health Advisory Committee serves as the principal communication between students and the Health Services staff and is advisory to the ASI. Representative also serves on the Health Services Oversight Committee.
Local Workshops, Classes, and Informational Interviews
- California Holistic Institute - Learn from the experts at our local school of therapeutic massage.
- Transcendental Meditation - Explore the evidence-based wellness benefits of meditation practice at free, local introductory talks.
- Consider contacting local practitioners regarding the possibility of an informational interview or job shadowing opportunity. An informational interview is an informal conversation with someone working in an area that interests you who will give you information and advice. It is an effective research tool in addition to reading books, exploring the Internet and examining job descriptions. Read more about informational interviews here: Informational Interview and Job Shadowing Handout
- Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM): This LinkedIn group represents an association of health professionals and citizens working to put the health and care back in health care.
- American Herbalists Guild - A non-profit, educational organization representing the goals and voices of herbalists specializing in the medicinal use of plants.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) - The NCCIH explains the difference between complementary and alternative medicine. Learn about the different forms of Mind-Body Practices, the role of integrative medicine and natural products.
- Yoga Alliance - The largest nonprofit association of over 70,000 yoga teachers and schools in the U.S. devoted to promoting the integrity and diversity of the teaching of yoga.
- SLO Yoga Center - Become a certified yoga teacher.
- Smiling Dog Yoga - Attend yoga teacher training and advanced studies workshops.
- Consider contacting local practitioners to inquire regarding opportunities for internships, volunteerism, or training.
Example Job Titles
- Massage Therapist
- Naturopathic Doctor
- Yoga Teacher
- Wellness Coach