Wellness: Fitness and Corporate
Career opportunities in fitness and corporate wellness continue to grow as individuals, businesses, government, and insurance organizations place an increasing emphasis on encouraging active and healthy lifestyles to help prevent injuries and illnesses amidst rising health care costs and health care reform measures. Companies are investing more in workplace wellness programs to help reduce health care costs and to help employees be more productive and present at work. Companies may provide on-site fitness programs and facilities, or provide discounts and financial incentives for employees to join gyms, lose weight, and quit smoking. Corporate wellness programs might also include health fairs, health education, medical/biometric screenings, health coaching, and wellness newsletters. The fitness industry is also seeing a trend towards further growth in online/virtual personal training, personalized group-based training programs, participation in yoga and pilates, and fitness centers in nursing homes or residential care facilities.
- Fitness Industry Issues/Trends Articles - A collection of current and useful articles on industry trends from the IDEA Health and Fitness Association.
- Health and Fitness Jobs: What You’ll Need, Where to Go and What You’ll Pay - by Kathryn Tuggle, published by FOXBusiness.
- Center for Health Research - The goal of the Center for Solutions Through Research in Diet & Exercise is to translate research and science into actionable programs and policy that will improve communities.
- PolyFit - Students who are passionate about health care and provide both students and the community with tests to measure personal health and strength.
- Consider contacting local practitioners regarding the possibility of an informational interview or job shadowing opportunity. An informational interview is an informal conversation with someone working in an area that interests you who will give you information and advice. It is an effective research tool in addition to reading books, exploring the Internet and examining job descriptions. Read more about informational interviews here: Informational Interview and Job Shadowing Handout
- Reach out to professors at Cal Poly as well as industry professionals to set up an interview.
- Corporate Health and Wellness Association - This LinkedIn group is dedicated to those involved in corporate health wellness, corporate fitness & nutrition, population health management, worksite wellness and medical wellness with a focus on health, wellness, and prevention for companies and employers.
- Fitness and Wellness Professionals - This group of fitness professionals on LinkedIn was created for networking and sharing of ideas and information as they relate to the health, wellness, and fitness.
- IDEA Health and Fitness Association - IDEA and its members are passionately committed to improving the health and fitness of all people.
- Society of Health and Physical Educators - SHAPE America is committed to ensuring all children have the opportunity to lead healthy, physically active lives.
- Kinesiology Department Internship Program - a fieldwork program which provides a supervised, professional field experience in a variety of settings appropriate for the students’ interests and career goals.
- Premier Health and Fitness Resources - lists hundreds of fitness and health promotion internships on our Internship Finder directory.
Example Job Titles
- Corporate Fitness Instructor
- Fitness Club Owner
- Fitness Trainer/Instructor Coordinator
- Fitness and Wellness Coordinator
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Lifestyle and Weight Management Coach