MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake, is Cal Poly's online job listing service and it has been updated for Fall 2016! The new MustangJOBS offers lots of cool features, including:
- An intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Personalized job and internship recommendations
- Access to opportunities including on-campus interviews, career fairs, and networking sessions
- The ability to schedule appointments with your career counselor
If you have additional questions on how to use MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake, please feel free to give us a call at 805-756-5976 or access the Help Center by clicking here.
Ready to start using the new MustangJOBS? Here are four quick steps you can take to jump-start your experience:
- Login to MustangJOBS powered by Handshake.
Current students can login directly through the my.calpoly.edu portal. Alumni can login directly here. If you are an alumni and do not have a MustangJOBS account, you can request an account by completing this form.
- Fill out your profile and make your privacy selections.
Please see below for more details about Your Privacy Settings.
- Take MustangJOBS powered by Handshake for a spin.
Use the landing page, top search bar and filters to look for companies and jobs you’re interested in learning more about or applying to. You can always save your searches so finding relevant employers and jobs will be easy. Through MustangJOBS you can also track your career planning and progress, access useful 24/7 resources and planning guides, and schedule your own appointments with a career counselor (coming soon!). To learn more about how to use MustangJOBS and the features offered, check out this brief video tutorial.
- Follow some jobs and employers you're interested in.
By doing so, you’ll automatically start receiving important updates about the company or job and you can begin filtering based on companies you follow.
Once you've taken these four steps, you'll be on your way to using MustangJOBS powered by Handshake to help you efficiently and effectively launch your career!
If you have additional questions on how to use MustangJOBS, please feel free to give us a call at 805-756-5976 or access the Help Center by clicking here.
Your Privacy Settings
- Some of your information will already be pre-loaded into your MustangJOBS profile; take a moment to verify its accuracy. If you find an error, contact Career Services to correct it.
- Decide whether to make your profile public or private.
- A public profile can be seen by employers on MustangJOBS and by Cal Poly Career Services staff. Note that some profile components have their own privacy settings (such as GPA). This allows you to make your profile public, hide some information. Note that other students cannot see your profile.
- A private profile can only be seen by you and Cal Poly Career Services’ staff.
- You can switch your privacy status at any time.
- If you make your profile public and are open to being contacted by employers, having a complete profile will make it easier for employers to find you when searching for candidates with your skill sets (similar to LinkedIn).
- MustangJOBS powered by Handshake also allows you to make your resume publicly viewable and downloadable by employers. (Learn how to upload a document). Each time you upload a resume, you will have the option of whether to make it public or private. Consider whether you wish to include personal information such as address and phone number when making documents public. For a refresher on privacy best practices, please visit Cal Poly’s Office of Information Security.
- If you’d like help with updating or improving your resume, please remember that Career Services offers extensive online resources and in-person services to assist you.
Student Recruiting Policies
No Show Cancellation Policy
First “No-Show” or 24 Hour Cancellation:
You may schedule, reschedule or cancel interview appointments via MustangJOBS up until two business calendar days before your interview date. If you must cancel your interview less than 24 hours in advance, you must notify the Recruiting Office at 805-756-5976. If you cancel within 24 hours of the interview, or are a “NO-SHOW,” your MustangJOBS account will be placed on a temporary suspension status until an apology letter is written to the recruiter. The recruiter contact information is housed in the Recruiting Office, Bldg. 124, Rm. 113. When emailing the apology letter to the recruiter, please CC a copy of the email to Cal Poly Recruiting staff (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, you are required to meet with a Career Counselor during FasTrak or Drop-in hours. Please let the counselor know you are there specifically for an interview no-show so the counselor can follow up with the Recruiting Office. Once the On-Campus Recruitment staff receives a copy of the letter and verification from the counselor, privileges will be restored to you.
Second “No-Show” or 24 Hour Cancellation:
The second time you cancel an interview less than 24 HOURS in advance or are a “NO-SHOW,” you must meet with the Executive Director, Eileen Buecher and you will forfeit your privileges to participate in the on-campus recruitment program for ten weeks. This action will also cause all remaining on-campus interviews to be canceled and opened up to other students.
An emergency on the day of your interview? We understand. Just call Taylor Law at 805.756.6093. You will need to write a letter explaining why you were not present the day of your interview using the same instructions above. BUT, you are only allowed one emergency cancellation per academic year. More than one emergency interview cancellation or one “No-Show” will result in automatic suspension from the On-Campus Interviewing Program for one quarter.
Rescinding a Job Offer
As a Cal Poly student, you are obligated to follow established ethical practices when seeking employment and/or internships. You are expected to stop seeking/considering other positions once an offer has been accepted, even if a more appealing offer is received at a later date. Cal Poly students not only represent themselves, but the character of Cal Poly and all individuals associated with this institution. Rescinding accepted offers has negative repercussions that extend beyond the student’s own reputation.
Rescinding an offer is a serious violation of Career Services policy, and any student who rescinds an offer will be barred from accessing MustangJOBS. It is the expectation that students, with the support and guidance from Career Services, will professionally address and rectify the situation.
If an employer recruits through Cal Poly Career Services and subsequently rescinds an offer made to a Cal Poly student, contact Career Services immediately for the next steps. Career Services holds employers to a high standard as well and will work with the individual employer to discuss the situation.
Pressure from Employers
Career Services asks that employers do not put undue pressure on candidates to make quick decisions about their offers. Examples include:
- Students will have until at least November 15 before accepting or declining any offer.
- For offers extended on or before November 1, 2016, employers will allow students until November 15, 2016 to accept or decline any offer.
- For offers extended after November 1, 2016, employers will allow a minimum of two weeks from the date of the written offer for students to accept or decline any offer. When employers extend more offers than openings available and tell students that offers will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Reduction in base salary, depending on when a candidate accepts an offer
Students are advised to review the Employer Policies and contact Career Services as soon as possible if you experience any of these circumstances with employers.
*Policies and Procedures for Accounting students are communicated and available from Sheri Boscaro, CPA, Executive Director for Accounting Excellence, Orfalea College of Business, Cal Poly, email@example.com, 805-756-2695.
Helpful Video Tutorials
Videos coming soon! For additional video tutorials, check out the Handshake Help Center here!